Friday, July 3, 2015

Whole30: Garlicky Tomato Shrimp Recipe

While diving into the world of Whole30, I have been able to remain consistent and satisfied with what I am eating because I have been eating pretty much things that I enjoy. I am not really feeling all that deprived. Today I want to share with you one of my most favorite foods to eat at this moment.

Shrimp is something that I have found is super easy to make and since I am the only one in my house that actually eats seafood I buy a bag of some wild caught from my local grocery's freezer section and I cook what I need for the day and save the rest for another day. They are easy to defrost quickly (and safely of course). For the sake of this recipe I will instruct on how to cook a large batch.

What you need:

Shrimp, I buy the large size 25-35 in a one pound bag with the peel deveined
1 tbsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp of tomato paste
3 tbsp of coconut oil
1/2 tbsp of black pepper
1/2 tbsp of onion powder
1/2 tbsp of basil dry

What to do:

Defrost your shrimp. I usually place my bag in a large pot with cold water. It doesn't take too long to defrost.
In a large pot heat coconut oil at medium heat. Coconut oil can be sensitive and may smoke quickly so be sure to watch your stove. Once the oil is warmed up a bit place place your defrosted shrimp in it. Be sure to rinse and pat them dry before you do this to make sure that they are clean. As the shrimp are cooking place all the dry seasonings in it along with the garlic. Mix it up to ensure that all the shrimp are seasoned well. Once the shrimp turn pink, about 6 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste. Cook for about two minutes as you continuously stir the shrimp around to evenly coat.

I like the shrimp with the peel because all the flavor gets stuck onto it which makes it so good, but it does tend to get messy since you have to use your fingers. Trust me though it is worth it. I have made this before without the peel and it was not as tasty.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment