Monday, June 15, 2015

Starting Whole 30

Health has been on my mind a lot lately. I think the fact that at the end of the year I will be 40. Wow. 40. Somehow even as I write it, the idea of turning 40 has not really felt like it is really real. I imagine that most people feel like this, like 40 is the number that finally makes you stop and realize that you have entered the adult world, but anyway.
I have been faithful in my commitment to walking. It has become something that I have looked forward to. I put on a podcast and just start walking. I walk for about an hour each time I go walking. I would love to say that I go every day, but truth is that I have bilateral hip replacements and Rheumatoid Arthritis which means I have to rest on some days. My goal for each day is 7000 steps. I am a stay at home mom so this is a good starting area for me. I was only averaging about 2000 steps a day before the FitBit. Most days I go over the 7000 steps. I have not felt tired, but occasionally my knee swells up which is my body reminding me to take a break. After my walks, which I usually do in the morning I ate whatever and I noticed that I wasn't really losing any weight, but I was losing inches though. I knew that I needed to take my health to the next level.
I decided to start the Whole 30 program. (Follow the link to learn more about it). I had learned about it through some blogs and I was impressed with how people looked after completing the program. I figured it was just 30 days and it could reshape the way I look at food.

On June 11, 2015 I began my journey and I want to share what worked well for me and what didn't.

What worked well this week:

  • I was eager to start the program
  • I found some great recipes on Pinterest to motivate me including a lovely sweet potato hash
  • Being a stay at home mom helped because I was able to stay focused and not be persuaded to any lunch dates
What was a challenge this week:
  • Soda. Diet soda. I am addicted. I didn't realize how much so until I had to give it up. I will be honest, I did not give it up until 4 days in as I slowly decreased my intake. I was drinking up to 4 a day. As I write this I am on my second day of my detox from Diet Coke. I will admit it was really hard. It still is. It has really been the only thing that I miss. I miss the sound of the can opening up. I have bene getting terrible headaches and I feel really tired. I have read that it is a side affect from the apertame leaving my body. 
Right now I only have 25 days left to go and I have a party the day after I end the program. I have the most lovely outfit in mind to show off my new body. I will share a post of some of my meals that helped me later on in the week.

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about starting Whole 30 a few times but it always seems like so much work! Especially since I'm not sure my kids or my husband would do it for me. I'm interested to see what you think once you've completed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been challenging with having to make separate meals for me and then for my family. My little one eats very little so I don't want to take away the few things that she does eat, but I have been incorporating more and more stuff that they do like and "sneak it in".

    ReplyDelete