Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer Book Reports

It is hard to imagine having enough time to read a book while caring for a little one, but I have been able to take advantage of the library e-books loaning program that they offer. It is super easy to download the book straight to your kindle. I can loan it out for 3 weeks which is plenty of time for me. Check your local library to see if they offer such a program.

This summer I have read (Spoiler Alerts):

This book was an easy read. I finished in less that three days and I think I cried for a week about it. I cried because I could not imagine what it would be like to have a child who is sick and for the illness to such that it could and would eventually take them away from me. It broke my heart. As far as the book contents itself, it was good. I found that it was just it...good. Not great or overwhelming good. So, not too much more I can say about it. 

I will be completely honest. When I heard that Ben Affleck was going to star in the movie adaptation of this book, I had to read it before it came out. I tend to do that as I know that the book is always better than the movie is, but a movie that has Ben Affleck in it is already good in my mind. I just love me some Ben Affleck. But, oh yes, the book. This one for me was a love it/hate it. I was torn throughout and that was probably due, in part, by the first person narrative that this book was written in, but by two  people, Nick and Amy. I could not stand Amy and I felt myself rushing through her version of the story. There were some plot twists that I did not see coming, but the end left me feeling...blah. I thought it was the shittiest endings to put it bluntly, but I suppose there could be a part two in the works, which I doubt I will read it...or maybe I will. I look forward to seeing how the end of the movie will be. 

Currently I am reading Up from the Blue and so far it is good. It seems to address the affects of mental illness on the entire family especially children. Mental illness is something that is rarely ever spoken about and I hope there is a change in the culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment