Saturday, November 23, 2013

What's Cookin'...Salted Caramel Truffels


I am not a baker. I know this and accept it, but when I learned that to make "Oreo Balls" did not involve any baking, I knew I could complete the task. I love the sweet and salty combo like everyone else and these were so good with just a few simple ingredients. Here is the basic recipe and you can add your own "toppings" for whatever mood your in...

Basic Oreo Truffles
1 package of Oreo Cookies
1 package of cream cheese (softened)
1 bag of Semi Sweet chocolate chips

Crushed the entire package of Oreos in a chopper or food processor. I place one sleeve at a time. Pulse until you have them a fine consistency. In a large bowl, pour the oreos and mix the softened cream cheese into it. Mix well. I use my hands for the mixing as I have found it to be the easiest method. Next, form the mix into truffle shapes. As far as size go, I tend to make mine on the smaller end since I enjoy having as many as possible, but not have all the calories! I also like to place them in mini cupcake wrappers so whatever fits in them is a good size. Once the truffles have been formed put them on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes.

Melt chocolate in a double boiler. I like to use that method rather than microwaving as the chocolate tends to stay "wetter" longer. Dip each truffle, one at a time in the chocolate and place them back on the cookie sheet and that is it!

There are many different variations of "toppings" that can be used for these. As pictured above, I added Kosher Salt and drizzled caramel over them which was amazing! Try some of these the next time you make some for a party and they will surely be a hit!

Some other toppings could be, crushed peppermint candies, pistachios, graham crackers, marshmallows, or anything else you enjoy. Another idea is to infuse the truffle with orange zest of even lemon zest and sprinkle some zest as a topping. The possible are, as they say "endless"!



*When placing the Oreo truffles in the freezer will help with dipping them in chocolate as they will be firmer, they will, however, harden quickly!!! For that reason if you are going to add extras to the balls please do so right after you dip them and place them on the sheet as you will have a small window of time to get things to "stick" to the chocolate.

Enjoy!!!
Susan




No comments:

Post a Comment