Friday, January 23, 2015

Art Therapy Journal Lesson 4: Keeping your Zen

This week I have had a lot of things on my mind. I feel like things are moving quickly and yet, I have been sitting still just watching things go by. Does that make any sense, because in my mind it totally does. When I thought of what I wanted to do this week, I wanted to keep it simple. I wanted to relax my mind. I needed to unwind.

Intitally, the idea of completing a self portrait came to mind. I began drawing it out and began to notice that I was stressing myself out over the fact that I can not draw faces. I can't do it. I have tried and it is just not in me. I have learned to accept this flaw and have moved on, but I felt myself getting very stuck on making the perfect self portrait. I started working on the mouth area and I just began doodling where I had made a mistake... enter the creation of the Zentangle.
Zentangles are abstract doodle creations which are fun, quirky and the repetitiveness nature of them have calming effects (for some, I suppose it may induce panic). I proceeded to spend literally three hours doodling while I listened to Simon & Garfunkel. I honestly believe that Paul Simon and I are meant to meet one day while I am walking through Central Park which would be really random since I have never been to Central Park, but I digress. I think the finished product speaks to exactly what I am feeling like on most days, I have literally 100 thoughts going on in my mind all at the same time.

The Zentangle is a great way to relax and the internet is filled with examples of doodles to make. I will warn you that once you start making them it is seriously hard to stop making them. They are addicting. So join me and show me your Zentangle.

*I do still plan to have a self portrait lesson in a later on down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment